Patch v103 has just been released and should be available the next time you launch Outscape from Steam. The highlight of this patch is the addition of exploration history which we’ll go over in this post. Plus, an in-game Russian language option was added and several other changes worth checking out. Read on for details.
Exploration history is now remembered
Previously explored star systems and planets will now remain visible when they’re no longer within scanner range (it won’t work retroactively – only with systems and planets you explore from now on). This has been one of the top community asks recently so we’re happy to have delivered it in this patch. Here’s a quick overview:
- When you view a star system or planet from history – not real-time scanner coverage – only the last known status is available (and a faded label is used to indicate it’s visible from history)
- To get up-to-date status on a star system or planet, you will need to regain scanner coverage of it, or enter a planet’s orbit to see its population and resource status
- Exploration history won’t work retroactively – only with systems and planets you explore from now on (and last known fleet positions aren’t stored)
Why didn’t we add exploration history to Outscape sooner? It wasn’t because we believed super advanced civilizations were likely to lose the skill of cartography on their journey to conquer the stars 🙂
It was because adding it required a major rework of underlying architecture. There’s still more to do in this regard, and due to the depth of the changes there is a chance some unusual bugs will have been introduced. So please let us know on the forum if you see anything.
Russian in-game translation now available
Until now Outscape has only been available in English, so we’re very happy to have added the first additional language, Russian.
We started with Russian because a couple of the devs are native speakers. It’s something they’ve been chipping away at between other tasks and in their spare time.
The language selection option is available from the game lobby only – it can’t be changed from the in-game settings menu. Please let us know on the forum if you spot any issues.
It’s likely the next language to be added will be German, and we may well ask for the community’s help with getting it done (we need to get the localization file tidied and prepared first).
Boosted warp enabled by default and tooltip delays reduced
A lot of new players don’t notice the boosted warp button quickly enough. And if a fleet has olzine available, it’s more likely than not the fleet was designed with the intention of using it. Therefore, if a stationary fleet has olzine available, boosted warp will be enabled by default.
In the next patch we’ll be adding an option to the settings to enable/disable this behaviour (when disabled, it will work as it did before e.g. only enable boosted warp if you select it).
Likewise with tooltips, many new players don’t tend to notice that they’re there. So the delay for tooltips has been decreased from 1-1.5 seconds to 0.3 seconds.
Colonizing a planet with two populations bug
For the last week it wasn’t possible to colonize a planet with two populations (a planet could still be captured through an invasion, but not colonized if there was no owner or ground defenses had been stood down). This has now been fixed. Apologies to those of you that were inconvenienced by this!
If you have any feedback on this patch please share it with us on the forum.
We’ll be back again later this week with a post about softening the current limits on expansion and are keen to get your feedback 🙂
– The Outscape dev team
Full patch notes
Features and changes
- Exploration history is now remembered: previously explored star systems and planets will now remain visible when they’re no longer within scanner range (it won’t work retroactively – only with systems and planets you explore from now on)
- Russian in-game translation now available: the language selection option is available from the game lobby only
- Boosted warp is now enabled by default if a fleet has olzine available
- The delay for tooltips has been decreased from 1-1.5 seconds to 0.3 seconds
- Optimized performance of the tutorial system
- For the last week it wasn’t possible to colonize a planet with two populations (please let us know if you continue to have any issues with this)
Updating the game client: the game should be automatically updated via Steam. Please check here if the download doesn’t automatically start when you launch Steam.