Alpha update 0.73 has just been released via Steam to all Alpha players.
The focus of this release has been on improving server performance, which when good enough, will enable us to increase the number of Alpha testers, further populating the vast galaxy.
Players should notice a performance increase when issuing commands to the server, such as adding to a construction queue, moving fleets, researching and transfering resources. We will be making a further performance optimization next week.
Part of the performance optimisation work included improvements to existing formulas related to population growth, happiness state, and planet environment effects. As such, a few related bugs were fixed along the way (details further below).
No new gameplay enhancements are in this patch, but we have been actively working on a number of new features which will launch soon.! We expect to have the first version of the adviser system included with the next release. The advisor system v1 is designed to introduce new players to the game and reduce the learning curve to some of the tricker aspects of the game. We have noticed that a large number of players drop-off very early on, but for those players persisting past the first few days the retention rate is very high.
If any Alpha players have any feedback or issues to report after playing the latest version, please let us know on the forum – this is both appreciated and needed to continually improve the game for everyone. We read and review every comment.
Updating the game client: The game should be automatically updated via Steam. Please check here if the download doesn’t automatically start when you launch Steam.
Full release notes
Features and changes
- New formulas implement linear growth of population that is not related to the existing population (related only to the planet’s environment and state of colony happiness).
- Performance improvements which should increase the responsiveness of the server when issuing commands from the client.
- The income bonus for colonies where happiness is 100% has been fixed (the bonus previously wasn’t being awarded). Note: The 100% happiness tax income bonus amount varies by civilization.
- Population growth rate didn’t always decline proportionally to the planet’s temperature (view).
- Planet’s with zero colonists were sometimes still registered as owned by a player.
- Destroying climate stations on a planet slowed the decline of a population instead of increasing it.