An Alpha game update has been released! All current Alpha players can download the update via Steam right now.
We’ll go over a few of the highlights in this post, but you can find the full release notes at the end.
Energy weapons and shields
So far in Alpha, kinetic weapons have been the go-to weapon of choice for most players. This was mainly because they can bypass shields and energy weapons can’t. So we did a little rebalancing to shake things up:
- 50% damage increase for all energy weapons (the cost in Ziryl has also been increased by 50%)
- Plasma turret cost has been increased
- 20% damage decrease for all kinetic weapons (except for missiles and torpedoes)
- Ordnance weapons consume more ordnance (between 1.5 and 2 times more)
Shields continue to offer NO protection against kinetic weapons, but a ship without shields is extremely vulnerable against energy weapons…
Due to feedback we’ve had from players in the forum, we’ve added additional warning alerts to help avoid doing something by accident. The following scenarios will now trigger an alert:
- Ordering construction of a structure that will exceed the colony’s power supply (resulting in a power outage)
- Saving a ship blueprint that contains ordnance weapons but no ordnance module (leaving the weapons with nothing to fire)
- Ordering construction of a ship blueprint of a tech-level higher than the shipyard can work with (shipyards can only work with hulls that have the same tech-level or lower)
- Clicking on an item in a construction queue (asking to confirm that the item should be deleted from the queue)
Whatever the outcome of a ground invasion, both the invading and defending forces can now suffer losses.
Structures were deactivating when they shouldn’t have been due to a wrong labour shortage calculation (for those that experienced it, this was the bug where adjusting the tax rate immediately fixed the situation). This annoying bug has now been fixed 🙂
The graphics options when first launching the game have been simplified (with sane defaults to avoid overheating). These settings can be further customized in-game from the settings on the main menu.
We’ll be back soon, thanks everyone 🙂
Full release notes
Features and changes
- Units added to clarify what a value represents e.g. per hour, a percentage.
- A warning when creating a ship blueprint with ordnance weapons but no ordnance module
- Rebalancing of weapons to improve power weapons and shields
- A ground invasion results in casualties on both sides
- Fleets can now be sent to explore a star system outside of scanner range
- A confirmation dialog has been added to avoid accidentally cancelling construction
- Added an alert dialog when attempting to build a ship blueprint of a tech level higher than the shipyard’s
- Multiple server crashing bugs
- Construction of a mine was incorrectly triggering a labour shortage
- Shipyard was incorrectly disabled due to a labour shortage when there wasn’t one
- Couldn’t create a fleet after merging fleets into position
- Scanner vanished when attached to a Syntis T41 in ship designer
- If constructing a structure will exceed the colony’s available power, a warning notice appears
- The website server status is working again: https://outscape.net/service-status/
- When launching a ground invasion the home guard size is now correctly shown
- Menus were going off the screen so it wasn’t possible to select items
- The cloaking module wasn’t compatible with the People’s Realm Poisk hull
- The Syntis repair module is now working again
- It was possible to launch a surface invasion if the defending ship in orbit was moving