The game servers have been offline since Monday afternoon, which is the longest downtime we’ve had for a running galaxy (and this one’s been running since the end of last year). But they’re back online again now – along with a new patch.
It’s a thin patch – since the last patch a lot of the dev’s time has been spent on the server environment. But it does contain one important fix though that corrects the issue with minesweepers sweeping 4 times faster than was intended!
Minesweepers sweeping too fast
In the 0.94 patch we increased the time it would take a single minesweeper to sweep a minefield from 1 hour to 4 hours (and 4 hours to lay a minefield). Except, we didn’t…
On top of that, minesweepers were actually sweeping 4 times faster than expected. So rather than improving the balance between minelaying and sweeping, that patch only made things worse. And players haven’t yet had a chance to evaluate the intended changes.
So we’re pleased to have this finally working as intended. We’re still considering what else to do with mine warfare and have had a lot of new feedback about it recently which we need to consider. Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to share your suggestions with us.
Server environment improvements
The server environment has had some significant reconfiguration done that has produced a performance boost of 0.2-0.7 seconds in response times!
While in the middle of this work there was a crash related to gameplay logic. The devs normally get the game servers back online quite quickly when something like this happens. But this time, the nature of these changes meant they needed to be finished before we could apply the fix and bring the servers back online (which is why the game servers were offline for the last couple of days).
But everything should be back to normal now and the game servers up and running again.
Thanks everyone, we’ll be back soon 🙂
– The Outscape dev team
Full patch notes
Features and changes
- The server environment has had some significant reconfiguration done that has produced a performance boost of 0.2-0.7 seconds in response times
- Spawning algorithm ensures there are at least 6 planets in a player’s starting system (it was 5 before)
- Finished the new invasion formula (it better takes into account the size/power of the attacker and defender forces involved: if the forces are uneven, little damage is done; if the forces are even, little damage is done if they are both small, but a lot of damage is done if they are both large – ‘damage’ means structures destroyed and troops/home guard lost)
- Minesweepers were sweeping 4 times faster than was intended (read more)
- ‘Last known’ population status wasn’t displayed on galaxy overview (only resources were)
- Asteroid mining wasn’t always possible because cargo space was detected to be full when it wasn’t (the fuel tanks were wrongly being considered)