The Alpha 3 Skirmish galaxy has just launched and all Alpha players can join it right now. The Skirmish galaxy is a faster game so join as soon as you can and don’t get left behind!
The launch of the Skirmish galaxy coincides with the release of Alpha patch 0.93. This patch introduces 2 changes, both apply to the new Skirmish galaxy only and not the ongoing Alpha 3 main galaxy (see below for details).
Updating the game client: the game should be automatically updated via Steam. Please check here if the download doesn’t automatically start when you launch Steam.
The new Alpha 3 Skirmish galaxy has launched
And it’s ready for Alpha players to join right now!
Alpha players just need to open Outscape in Steam and join the ‘ALPHA 3 SKIRMISH’ galaxy (see: Joining a game galaxy).
We’ve added a separate #skirmish chat channel on Discord specifically for this game – use it to chat with other Skirmish players.
What can players expect?
- A faster game:
- Players start with more credits and resources and 3 colonizers
- More powerful laboratories (research new tech in less time)
- Corruption has no effect until a player has colonized 12 planets
- More competition between players:
- Players start closer to each other: 6-10 LY minimum distance (24 LY in A3 main galaxy)
- Expansion is more competitive due to less star systems and planets: 2,500 star systems, 15,000 planets (over 130,000 star systems in A3 main galaxy)
- The game ends when one player wins:
Please note: the Alpha 3 main galaxy remains the mainstay galaxy, will run alongside this experimental A3 Skirmish galaxy, and will continue after the A3 Skirmish galaxy has ended. So don’t neglect your existing games in the main galaxy!
Check out the Skirmish galaxy announcement post for more details.
Alpha patch 0.93
All stars in a small galaxy are visible
One significant change players should notice with the new Alpha 3 Skirmish galaxy is that stars outside scanner range can also be seen (their names aren’t shown). It’s still not possible to see stars outside scanner range in the main Alpha 3 galaxy, as this change will only apply to small galaxies like the Skirmish (for now at least).
It’s possible to send a selected fleet to explore one of these star systems outside scanner range. Just select a fleet, click on a star, then the menu option ‘Explore the star system’ should appear.
3 new minor factions added
Minor factions are non-playable civilizations that are dispersed throughout a galaxy. A planet already populated by a minor faction can still be colonized by a player, and each minor faction will provide its own distinct benefit to the colony:
- Partly botanical/insectoid humanoids with a sense of wonder and curiosity about the world
- Benefit to a colony: able to produce enough sustenance that building farms is unnecessary. Once a planet already populated by Evolanians is colonized by a player, the max population size the colony can support is as large as the planet’s limit.
- Skregons can be found on cold planets, beneath the thick layers of ice and crystal
- Benefit to a colony: a Skregon population will begin deep mining a planet and provide those resources to the colony. They do not mine the available deposit itself, and will only deep mine a resource if there is a deposit.
- The Harpy
- An avian species that has developed the ability to generate immensely powerful screeches
- Benefit to a colony: the colony will have access to a unique ‘Harpy scanner’ which when constructed has a wider sensor range than a regular planetary scanners (the scanner range itself isn’t widened, just the inner sensor range).
The 2 minor factions already in the game – Akorokken and Mountain Giants – also provide their own distinct benefits to a colony (for the Skirmish and future galaxies). Akorokken: provide 4 extra science points (the equivalent to having 4 labs built on that planet). Mountain Giants: speed up construction speeds on a colony by 60% and contribute 100% of their population to the home guard.
We’ve put the wiki pages for these new minor factions together quite quickly. If you want to help us improve these pages, just login to the wiki and make some edits 🙂
Good luck to everyone joining the new Alpha 3 Skirmish galaxy and have fun! And please remember to remind other players you know that the new galaxy is ready for them to join right now.
That’s all for now folks, we’ll be back soon.
– The Outscape dev team
Full patch notes
Features and changes
- New Alpha 3 Skirmish galaxy launched, ready for players to join.
- All stars on the map are now visible – including those not in scanner range – and fleets can be ordered to move to them (for small galaxies like the Skirmish only – not the large Alpha 3 main galaxy).
- 3 new minor factions have been added: Evolvanians, Skregons and the Harpy (minor factions are added to a galaxy at the time it is generated, so they will be in the new Alpha 3 Skirmish galaxy and future galaxies, but not the ongoing Alpha 3 main galaxy). Each minor faction provides its own distinct benefit to the colony.
- 2 existing minor factions also provide their own distinct benefits to the colony (for the Skirmish galaxy and future galaxies – not the Alpha 3 main galaxy). Akorokken: provide 4 extra science points when colonized (like having 4 labs built on that planet). Mountain Giants: increase construction speed by 60% and contribute 100% of their population to the home guard.