Alpha patch 0.84 has just been released via Steam to all Alpha players.
This release includes new fleet merging and splitting functions, attack and return mode, UI improvements, visual enhancements and more. Alpha players will also notice that the game has been renamed to Outscape in their Steam library and the game itself. If you missed our announcements about the new name you can find out more here.
The changes in this patch represent a fraction of what we’ve been working on since the last patch, but as they are game-changers, they need to be released at the same time as the new galaxy on the way. We covered some of these changes in a recent dev diary post in case you missed it.
Updating the game client: the game should be automatically updated via Steam. Please check here if the download doesn’t automatically start when you launch Steam.
A new ‘Merge fleet’ feature has been added to make it easy to merge fleets of one or more ships together. Just select one fleet, click another, and choose the ‘Merge fleet’ option from the menu. The first fleet selected will then move and intercept the other fleet and merge with it.
- The flagship of the new fleet is chosen automatically – the ship with the highest flagship level amongst both fleets
- If no ship within either fleet has a flagship level high enough to support all ships in a single fleet the ‘Merge fleet’ option is disabled
Once the new fleet has been formed you can still take full control over ship positioning and tactics. And if for some reason you prefer to form fleets manually – you can still do it that way too.
There’s also a new way to split fleets. Click the ‘Split’ button from a fleet’s context menu to open the fleet splitting screen (you can also access this screen from ‘Fleet management’). From this screen you’ll then be able to remove one or more ships to form a new fleet:
- The ships in the current fleet are shown on the top half of the screen.
- Drag ships one by one to the lower half to prepare a new fleet.
- The first ship moved is designated as the flagship
- Click ‘Split fleets’ when done. Click ‘Back’ once you’ve finished splitting.
Attack and return
The new ‘Attack and return’ order for fleets is a very handy addition. If a fleet is ordered to ‘Attack and return’, after winning a battle it will attempt to return to its original position when the order was given. If the fleet is instead destroyed, no, it’s wreckage will not return 🙂
If the ‘Attack’ order is instead given the fleet will remain in position where the battle was fought. Either command is available from the menu that opens after selecting one of your fleets and then an enemy’s.
Corvette class hulls
Did you catch last week’s dev diary post? We revealed that the Clipper class was being renamed to Corvette class and how its functionality would change
With this patch:
- Clipper class has been replaced with Corvette class
- Corvette class hulls can only activate their ‘special module’ while flagship of a fleet
Changes still to come for the Corvette class:
- How special modules will require olzine (read the dev diary post for details)
- One Corvette class hull being limited to one ‘special module’
Shipyards orbiting planets
In this patch, if you get up close to a planet with a shipyard you should be able to spot it. It’s just a visual change for now, you won’t be able to interact with it or order a fleet to attack.
The top bar of the Main UI has been made a lot more player friendly. There’s a ton of useful info available when hovering over the icons related to credits, colonized planets and fleets.
The battle result screen has been jazzed up too. It looks nicer, and it’s easier to understand the state of the fleets following the battle.
And finally, for any of you that may have missed our announcements – the new name of the game is Outscape!
For Alpha players on Steam the game will automatically rename in your library with this patch and you won’t need a new key or to download a separate game. Everything should continue as before – just with the new name 🙂
See you all again soon!
Full patch notes
Features and changes
- Merge fleet function added to the fleet context menu
- Split fleet function available from the fleet context menu and fleet management screen
- ‘Attack and return’ command added
- Clipper class renamed to Corvette class and this hull can only activate its special module when it is designated flagship of the fleet
- Shipyard is visible in orbit of a planet with a shipyard
- UI enhancements: Main UI top bar and battle result page
- All Battles will disappear after 24 hours. This should increase overall performance of the game.
- During any invasion, if both armies are roughly a similar size there is a small chance that the lesser army can still win.
- Name of the game changed to Outscape
Attention: All cloaking devices will turn off after this update.