Alpha patch 0.77 has just been released via Steam to all Alpha players. This patch includes some visual and gameplay improvements, and fixes to some bugs that have been frustrating players.
Updating the game client: the game should be automatically updated via Steam. Please check here if the download doesn’t automatically start when you launch Steam.
Engine effects are back
Engine effects were removed a couple of updates ago while they were being finished. This patch sees them returned and looking better than ever!
Players should also notice further improvements to the lighting system. The lighting system is now at a point where we’re fairly happy with it, but let our designers know what you think in the forum.
Battle system tweaked
The battle system has had a few tweaks in this update:
- Camera positions for viewing the battle have been changed
- Ship rotation speed has increased by 1.5 times and varies based on hull size
- The timing in which ships fire at the start of the battle has been tweaked to make the action clearer
Another change we had to make was removing the ‘Behavior in battle’ option from the fleet management panel. The previous options were ‘Don’t move’, ‘Move towards the enemy’, and ‘Move away from the enemy’. We removed the latter two options due to an ongoing issue with fixed weapons and movement in battle. The default for all fleets is now ‘Don’t move’ and the option has been hidden from the fleet management panel.
Please note: the changes to battles will not affect those that happened before the update and when viewing older battles the camera perspective may be too far away.
Game client bugs fixed
For some players, the start of a battle resulted in the game client crashing. After logging in again, the battle result was available to watch, but the start of a new battle would cause another crash.
Another bug fixed in this patch has been happening over the last week and was related to the Syntis T0 Colonizer hull. When zooming to a system with one of these ships, the camera would zoom right into the hull and the game client would freeze. Apologies if you were affected by this, please let us know if this patch doesn’t fix the issue for you.
Alpha players – check your inboxes
On Monday, we emailed out a survey to everyone that has played the Alpha so far (except for those that joined recently). If you have played the Alpha but haven’t seen the survey email, there’s a chance it could be in your spam folder.
A huge thanks to everyone that has filled it out so far! It’s very much appreciated, and the feedback we are getting will help us make a better game for you 🙂
Full patch notes
Features and changes
- Improvements to battle system
- Camera mode options have been changed:
- View from the side of player fleet
- View from the side of enemy fleet
- View whole battlefield
- Ship rotation speed has increased x1.5 and varies per hull (based on size)
- The timing in which ships fire at the start of the battle has been tweaked to make it clearer
- Fleet tactics “more to enemy” and “move away from enemy” have been removed (they were causing an issue) – so the tactics option has been removed as not moving is the only option for now
- Enhanced visual effects
- New ship engine effects added
- Lighting within the star system view improved
- Lighting and usage of colour in the star map view improved
- Zooming to a system with a Syntis Colonizer caused the UI to lock
- The start of a battle caused the game client to crash and disconnect
- Battle result page was shown repeatedly
- In some battles ship movement was not animated correctly (ships twisting at awkward angles)