Alpha patch 0.76 has just been released! There should be a bit of something for everyone in this patch…
Updating the game client: The game should be automatically updated via Steam. Please check here if the download doesn’t automatically start when you launch Steam.
Game client performance boosted
The devs continued work on improving performance in this patch, spending time debugging the following game client issues that were frustrating players:
- The star map view was very unresponsive for players with large empires
- A star system view with many ships was unresponsive
For those of you that were affected by this, please let us know how performance is for you after updating to this latest patch. We also anticipate that some of the improvements will benefit players running Beyond Dark on entry-level hardware, for empires of all sizes.
New immersive reactive music system
The music system has been improved in this patch: more music has been added, and the game transitions between tracks as you navigate through the UI. The music system is also responsive to game play scenarios such as winning or losing battles. If you have been playing previously with the music turned off, now would be a good time to turn it back on in the settings 🙂
We’d love to hear feedback, both on the system and the track selection. A good soundtrack system and track selection should complement the game and create immersion, but should not be a distraction.
Population growth rate restored
In a previous patch, players noticed that the population growth rate had decreased. This wasn’t by design, and the cause wasn’t immediately obvious, but the growth rate has now been restored in this patch to the previous rate.
More tweaks to lighting
Further small improvements to ambient lighting should be noticeable in this update. There’s still work to do tweaking visual effects. We expect to include more lighting enhancements and the currently missing engine effects in the 0.77 patch just around the corner!
Full patch notes
Features and changes
- Game client performance for players with large empires or many fleets in a star system has been improved
- New contextual music system and tracks added for different areas of the UI
- Improvements to ambient lighting
- Improvements to path finder logic for a zoomed in fleet while moving
- Changes to the strategic view (the strategic view is where the camera is zoomed out from the star map view to the point that fleets are represented by triangles and star labels disappear)
- Battle icons are no longer shown in the strategic view
- Population growth rate was reduced previously in v.0.75, it’s now back to what it was before that update
- Fixed several issues causing the game client to crash sporadically: when launching a planet invasion, moving troops from a planet to a fleet or rearranging ships in a fleet involving large ship models
- With v.0.75 fleet icons looked bigger due to a color change, but now look smaller again