The new Pre-Beta galaxy is now OPEN and ready for you to play!
If you previously signed up to play but haven’t had an invite email yet – check your inbox… Because everyone that signed up and was still waiting on an invite should now have been sent one (keep reading if you didn’t get yours).
Joining the new Pre-Beta galaxy
Existing players just need to open Outscape in Steam and join the ‘PRE-BETA’ galaxy (see: Joining a game galaxy).
If you’ve received your invite email it will have contained a link to your Steam key. After activating your Steam key, you’ll be able to join the PRE-BETA galaxy. If you run into any issues let us know on the forum (the account you use to access the forum will be the account you use to login to the game with).
Invite not arrived?
If you previously signed up to play but still haven’t received an invite email please let us know. Send us an email (email@example.com) and provide the email address you signed up with and we’ll look into it for you.
Please note: it could take up to a couple of hours for all email invites to arrive after they’ve been sent. And check your spam folder or promotions tab if you’re using Gmail.
Recently signed up or not signed up yet?
If you’ve signed up in the last couple of days you may not have been sent an invite yet. We will continue to send out invites once a day so you should get one shortly.
If you haven’t yet signed up to help us test, there is still time to do so but you need to hurry! We will be closing the sign up form soon.
What’s new in the ‘Pre-Beta’ Galaxy?
In-game tutorial for new players
For the first time, players new to the game have an in-game tutorial to get them up to speed!
If you haven’t been following the games development recently, it’ll introduce you to each of the main gameplay features (including those added not long ago to the Alpha 3 galaxy e.g. private messaging).
Once you’ve had time to test it, we’d love to hear any feedback you have on the forum.
City centers repurposed
City centers have been largely ignored by players. There were almost always other priorities and they became useless once the planet’s population limit was reached. So we wanted to experiment and repurpose them for this galaxy.
City centers now boost income rate rather than population growth rate. The standard income rate from taxation has been dialled down, but constructing city centers boosts the income rate (building a city center expands the economy so income from taxation increases without needing to raise the tax rate). Experienced players shouldn’t notice much of a difference at the start of the game, because the home planet starts with multiple city centers.
- Better resource distribution throughout the galaxy
- More resources in home systems and less ‘bad’ systems in general
- Each home system will have a valuable second planet ideal for colonizing
- Players start closer to each other (minimum distance between players decreased to 14~ LY from 24~ LY in Alpha 3) and can private message each other
- A couple of extra ships ready to use from the start
- In-game tutorial to get players up and running quickly
- Minor factions provide unique benefits to a colony formed on that planet (tweaked a bit since they were introduced in Skirmish)
- Growth limitations have been dialled down (corruption starts at 14 planets instead of 5 and fleet control centers support more fleets)
- Rebalanced weapons prices – the 2nd levels in particular (ships and buildings weren’t changed)
- Tweaked some of the science point costs for technology research
- Plus all of the features that were added over the duration of Alpha 3 and Skirmish galaxies
That’s it for now, we’ll be back soon. And good luck in the new galaxy!
– The Outscape dev team