We’ve just pushed a new patch to Steam. It’s only a small patch, but it does contain some performance improvements that will make a huge difference to those of you using minefields. You should get the patch automatically the next time you start Outscape from Steam (please check here if you don’t).
Performance Boosts for Minefields and Wreckages
If you’ve been using minefields in your game then you’ve probably experienced a notable drop in performance when there were a lot of them visible from the star map. Likewise, when in a system and there were multiple wreckages from battle.
After updating to this patch you should notice a HUGE performance improvement in those scenarios. Performance won’t be identical to when there aren’t any minefields or wreckages visible, but in our testing FPS increased 5-10 times compared to before the optimization.
If you were experiencing game client performance drops in a game, please let us know how things are for you after updating to this patch.
See you soon,
– The Outscape dev team
Full patch notes
Features and changes
- Game client performance has been significantly improved when multiple minefields are visible on the star map and when multiple wreckages are visible in a system
- Fleet docks: it wasn’t possible to upgrade a level 1 fleet dock to level 2 even if level 2 fleet docks had been researched
- Fleet docks: docking a fleet with personnel (colonists or troops) onboard deleted the personnel if there wasn’t enough space for them on the planet. Following this patch, the ‘Dock fleet’ option isn’t available if there is not enough space on the colony for the personnel the fleet is carrying
- Scanner circles for fleets weren’t always displayed if there were many separate fleets spread out over a large area
- Merging a fleet with another fleet that was sweeping a minefield sometimes caused a server crash
- An error while loading a galaxy was preventing a few players from being able to enter it
Updating the game client: the game should be automatically updated via Steam. Please check here if the download doesn’t automatically start when you launch Steam.