Hi everyone, this will be a short post just to keep you up to date with what we have been working on in the Beyond Dark universe.
Over recent weeks, the majority of our focus has been spent on ship customisation & load testing. It’s been a highly productive time for reasons which we’ll get to right away.
After completing the initial development stages of Beyond Dark, our testing gave us the confidence that our technology would be able to match our ambition in terms of universe size.
Since then – partly due to the massive demand for the Beta and level of interest we’ve had – we had to raise the bar for the performance and scale we wanted to achieve.
The last thing we want as game developers is to finally get this game out there to players, only for it to grind to an unceremonious and unplayable halt!
Getting load testing and optimisation done to such a degree now, means that once the Beta is released, our developers can focus on making the game better and implementing your feedback rather than fixing downtime.
As such, we’ve really put our servers and entire infrastructure through the wringer lately, pummelling everything to breaking point and beyond!
Bugs have been squished, code polished, and expletives exhausted – but our developers our happy with the final results 🙂
Screenshots from Live Test Environment
Our testing environment is as realistic as possible, which means we are able to login to the game to see from the perspective of one of the test players, which is where the following screenshots are from.
In each image:
- Blue/green circles represent player controlled radar via ships/fleets/planets
- Blue/green lines represent journey path of player controlled ships/fleets
- Red represents enemy ships/fleets
- Due to fog of war, the rest of the galaxy appears empty, but is as dense with activity as what the player’s radar has revealed
What you can see is so busy it would be overwhelming, and something extreme that wouldn’t naturally occur in-game. For a more natural game perspective a player would see, check out the first screenshot at the top of this post or the early game videos.
In-between waiting for load testing to complete (some of our extended tests run for days) our developers managed to work on the ship customisation engine.
It’s now possible to create customised blueprints, build ships from them, tweak individual ships, and deploy them in the game. The process works like this:
- You select a base hull from those available to your race/tech level (each hull differs visually and performance specification)
- Ship can be configured by placing components on to slots/mount points e.g. weapons, engines, cargo space etc.
- Blueprint can then be saved and used for future ship construction (further refinements can be made on a ship-by-ship basis)
As you can see from the screenshots, this feature needs work on the visual side, and the full range of each race’s hull/component options + refined stats haven’t been installed – but the bulk of the work is out of the way!
If you’re hungry for more information and want to see more about some of the other aspects of game design currently being discussed, don’t forget to visit the feature board.
We hope you’re all enjoying your summer/winter wherever you are in the world!