The last month has seen a lot of in-depth discussion and voting on the Feature Board. Once again a big thanks to everyone who has been able to take part and we appreciate your continued contributions!
In this post we’ll walk you through some of the cards which have been approved or completed, and show how your input is actively shaping development.
Cards that have had a significant numbers of votes and received a positive response in the community comments are usually marked as approved.
The coloured bar above each card title indicates for which phase its implementation has been planned: Beta, Launch or To be decided.
Please feel free to continue commenting/voting on already approved cards. While still possible, we will consult with feedback left via the comments during development.
- Upgradable Structures: one of the most voted for cards! The ability to upgrade a structure will be tied to available tech level and resources.
- Positioning of Ships within Fleet: will enable a player to optimise a fleet based on purpose/priority e.g. to protect a cargo, launch a devastating attack.
- Fleet Finder/Selector: quickly take stock of all ship/fleet details in your empire including spec, location and current action and cargo.
- Better Tech Tree with 4 Branches: the most voted for feature so far. A lot of feedback on this card including the request to include race-specific tech.
- Ion Storms: some excellent points raised on this card which we will have to bear in mind when implementing this feature.
- The Probe: enables limited exploration compared to a ship, but allowing the owner to remain anonymous.
- Tech Levels: are related to the Tech Tree and prevent a player with advanced technology gaining an exponential advantage. Utilisation of certain technology requires infrastructure of an equivalent or higher level.
- Wormholes: proved a popular and necessary feature primarily to enable friends to relocate or visit a friend’s area of the galaxy.
- Native Races/Civilizations: received a good response for bringing an additional game dynamic to colonizing certain planets and for making planetary systems more interesting.
TBD – To Be Decided
- PvE: has proven to be a component players want added to Beyond Dark but it has to be done carefully. It’s a good way to bring more fun to the game while enabling players to earn rewards and gain experience.
- Player Created Private Universes: will enable friends to play under the conditions of their choosing. There will be no cross-over with the massive public universe but private universes will also be persistent.
- Phone Companion App: mobile device access to Beyond Dark is something most players would like. It’s something we will implement once we have been able to finalise gameplay after collecting Beta feedback.
Done & Ready
You can read a separate post on one of the recently completed cards: Unique Ship – Beta Reward. The name of the ship Viper Class Conveyor was the result of an open poll we ran from the Feature Board.
On Ice OR Won’t Do
Several cards have been moved to the On Ice OR Won’t Do column. These cards aren’t being ruled out, but for varying reasons we aren’t committing to implementing them yet.
Physical Structure Placement for example, is something that garnered a lot of interest, but at the same time the community felt it could side-track players too much. Therefore we’ll come back to this topic once players have a feel for the game after Beta access.
Tablet Support on the other hand, would require a significant level of developer resources which we can’t contemplate until post-launch.
A handful of cards remain categorised under Awaiting Decision (marked with a blue bar). While some of these cards may have seen enough community support for inclusion, they’ve not been updated yet due to prioritisation and existing tasks. We need a little more time to evaluate.
The Fighters card for example has received a lot of votes and generated a lengthy discussion, but due to it being a layer on top of core gameplay we need to hold-off until the underlying gameplay is closer to completion.
Alliances & Clans
Across a number of cards the topic of Alliances and Clans came up often. As such, we set up dedicated cards to find out more about what our community wanted and expected in this regard.
The level of interest and demand have had a profound effect on our planned development schedule and required us to raise the priority level of alliances to the extent that we feel it needs to be in place for the Beta.
Alliances are a gameplay feature that tie-in with so many other features: messaging/chat, wormholes, battles, diplomacy etc. So we feel it imperative to have it in the Beta to be able to have enough time to correct related gameplay in time for the full launch.
There will be a card going up on the board shortly which will outline details of our implementation proposal for alliances – consolidating feedback from your comments.
We understand people are hungry for more cards to see what else is planned and to be able to voice their opinion. We’re holding off on adding more for now until we have made more headway on current cards.
The Discussion Only > About this Section card has raised many great topics and given us plenty of food for thought. Discussions/suggestions include:
- Deep space outposts/Space stations
- Diseased/contaminated planets
- Alliance related gameplay
- Game balancing regarding new/established players
- A unique colonisation/seed ship for relocating/restarting
In the future some of these topics could be added as dedicated cards, or where appropriate consulted when implementing related functionality.
Please note that although we’ve not jumped in to all of the conversations on existing cards, we do read everything and each card will be reviewed further when implementing that feature.
As previously mentioned in the FAQ the Beta release forecast of June is being reviewed. It’s now looking like it won’t be ready before Autumn.
We’ve seen an incredible level of interest in playing the Beta, and had a strong community response describing features wanted in the Beta. Subsequently we’ve had to bring a lot of things forward that we had previously scheduled for later on (development over the last month for example has been focussed on load testing).
It does mean that the Beta version you guys are going to get to play will be a more complete game than we initially envisaged for Beta 🙂 Which also gives us more time to correct any issues with gameplay that the community highlights in time for the full release.
Guaranteed Beta Access Ending Soon!
Up to now everyone signing up for the Beta automatically got General Beta access. This will only last for a few more days! After which, we will no longer be able to guarantee General Beta access to people signing up in future.
Instead, we will do our best to get them access to play towards the end of the Beta – but can’t make any promises.