Hello again 🙂 And welcome to our weekly Developer diaries.
It’s pretty hectic in the office right now. The team is busy getting the features finished for the new galaxy, preparing the end game challenge for the current Alpha galaxy (details to follow soon in another post) and readying the next patch.
Fleet merging and splitting is ready for the next patch and something worth taking a look at in this post. We had to spend a fair bit of design time on it as the current way of doing things has been frustrating both new and old players alike!
The current way of forming a fleet involves:
- Move each ship one at a time to the same point in space
- Zoom all the way in to ship level to be able to see the ships
- Drag each ship one by one in to the fleet circle of the designated flagship
- Wait for the ship to move to its new position in the fleet
- Once finished, zoom back out to issue the fleet its orders
The positions of differently configured ships in a fleet has a huge impact on the fleet’s offensive and defensive capabilities (e.g. front line tanks protecting valuable cargo) – so the ability to manually position ships within a fleet isn’t going anywhere! What was sorely missing was a way to achieve the above more easily.
Merge fleets menu option to the rescue!
With the new ‘Merge’ function creating new fleets is a breeze. All you need to do is select one fleet, click on another fleet, and choose the ‘Merge fleet’ option from the menu. The fleet selected first will then move to intercept the other fleet and merge with it.
- The flagship of the new fleet is chosen automatically – the ship with the highest flagship level amongst both fleets
- If no ship within either fleet has a flagship level high enough to support all ships in a single fleet the ‘Merge fleet’ option is disabled
Looking back, we did things back to front with forming fleets. It should have been possible to form fleets from a higher level to begin with, and only then adding in the ability to zoom in and take more control over tactical positioning…
Separating ships from a fleet
It’s also important players can quickly reorganize fleets, taking ships out, swapping other ships in, depending on the requirements of the mission.
There’s a new ‘Split’ button on the fleet context menu you can use to instantly separate all ships from a fleet.
Alternatively, you can use the above fleet splitting screen to choose which ships to remove and separate to their own fleet of one or more ships:
- The fleets in the current fleet are shown on the top half
- Drag ships one by one to the lower half to form a new fleet
- The first ship moved is designated as the flagship
That’s it for today. Thank you all and see you next time.
By the way – we would have included a video to showcase the new features, but with the tech tree revamp ongoing our internal testing environment only has Scout class (low flagship level) hulls available right now. If we get more ships back in the next day or two we’ll post a video up 🙂