Good news… the next patch will be released early next week!
It’s been a long 6 weeks since we released a patch. But we hope when you see how much we’ve got done in that time you’ll agree it was time well spent.
As things stand, it’ll be out next Tuesday or Wednesday. We’ll let you know on the forum as soon as the time of the release has been finalized. The Skirmish galaxy will be closed at around the same time (we’ve left it running for a few days longer than originally announced to be able to close it at the same time as the patch).
Player profiles sneak peek
We know that many of you are patiently waiting for details on alliances – so we’re going to put a post together on that very soon.
In the meantime, what we do have ready to show you are the designs/plans for player profiles. Like alliances, work on player profiles began a while ago. But we haven’t been able to invest any serious time on either of them since, due to the usability crisis we’ve been working on resolving.
So, what do we have planned for player profiles?
- Player profiles will tie in to the game, leaderboards, chat and alliances
- They’ll be available within the game and from the web
- Profiles will consist of a top level Main profile which will show a summary and list of games the player has participated in
- The Game profile will show details specific to that game
Player profiles will very likely be rolled out in stages, rather than all sections included in the first version. And at the moment we’re not sure when we will resume work on them as there are higher priorities we need to get to first.
But let’s take a look at each of the proposed sections now.
Players will have the option to personalize their profile by:
- Entering a bio
- Choosing an avatar
- Providing their Discord username (until we roll-out our own improved chat system)
The player’s current rank and level, and progress towards the next rank will also be shown in this section. Initially there will be 12 ranks:
- Grand Admiral
- Vice Admiral
Each rank will have 4 levels (48 levels in total) e.g. Cadet will be levels 1-4 and Grand Admiral levels 45-48 (with a separate icon for each level).
- On the Main profile this section will show cumulative stats across all games the player has completed
- On a Game profile these stats will also be shown, but they will be specific to that game (if the game is ongoing the stats would probably be visible only to the profile owner to avoid giving away intel)
- This section will only be on the Main profile
- All games the player participated in will be listed here (finished and ongoing)
- Clicking the ‘Stats’ button will open the relevant Game profile
- These aren’t the final columns we’ll be using, some need to be changed (to focus more on the player and less on the galaxy)
- If a game is ongoing specific stats on the game won’t be shown
- If a player hasn’t earnt any special awards this section won’t be included
- We haven’t defined a list of special awards yet, but they could recognize things like Alpha participation, winning a leaderboard, a lot of contributions to the wiki, etc.
- Achievements will be shown on both Main and Game profiles (on a Game profile an achievement will only show as completed if it was attained in that game)
- Some achievements will be progressive e.g. you will need to do something X times, while others will just need a single action to be completed e.g. destroying a dreadnought
- We’ve prepared about 50 achievements, a lot of which were from player suggestions
- Rather than starting with all 50, it’s likely we’ll add a few at a time
Putting it all together
Here’s how the Main profile will look with all of the sections in place. The Game profile will look similar, but instead of the list of games it’ll show details of the game galaxy.
What do you think? Are there any must-have features you’d expect to see on a player profile missing? Are achievements a big thing for you or do you just care about being about to personalize the bio?
We’ll be back next week with the new patch. See you then 🙂
– The Outscape dev team