The foundations of a strong empire are its mining and freight network. Without a reliable supply of resources, growth will always be an uphill struggle.
There are five natural resources that can be mined: beron, farsu, limbalt, olzine and ziryl. Each of these resources is used for a different purpose, so strategic priorities will determine which should be mined for and how aggressively.
- Beron: required for the construction of buildings and structures e.g. mines, farms, power stations, laboratories, etc. No colony structures can be built without it. It’s a fairly common mineral found in large deposit sizes.
- Farsu: the base material used in the construction of ship hulls and parts. Without farsu, shipyards can’t produce any ships!
- Limbalt: used to produce ordnance for ordnance-based weapons (energy weapons do not need limbalt as they are powered entirely by a ship’s internal power supply).
- Ziryl: required for the production of energy-based ship parts e.g. plasma cannons, shields, and beam turrets. Some structures also require ziryl for their construction (only laboratories at the moment). Ziryl is a rare resource and deposit sizes are small.
- Olzine: is used as ship fuel. All ship engines can travel at at least warp one without needing fuel (free warp), however, much faster travel is possible when olzine is available.