We’re not just a team of passionate game developers who have worked on many AAA titles… We love playing games.
Between us we’ve played almost every strategy game out there and we especially love space strategy games. To understand why Beyond Dark will be one of the most amazing games you will ever experience, we would like to share with you exactly why we made it.
The Space Strategy Genre
Space strategy games that we’ve played fall into two categories, ‘real-time’ and ‘turn-based’.
Real-time space strategy games are engaging in the short-term because they are quick to play with paced action, however their lack of strategic depth means that the experience can wear out quickly. Plus if you want to play with your friends, you all have to be online at the same time.
Turn-based strategy games offer strategic depth and are much more engaging in the long-term. But they are generally limited to around eight players and each turn can become very long as the game matures. The result is a slowdown in gameplay.
Often universes in traditional space strategy games are quite small, with only a few players within them. Yet space is supposed to be massive, with endless hidden surprises or opportunities just waiting to be discovered. We felt many of these games were just missing the point of space.
We decided to try and redefine the space strategy genre from the ground-up, taking the best ideas from both real-time and turn-based games, whilst throwing in our fair share of unique ideas.
So what is Beyond Dark?
Beyond Dark takes the best of both real-time and turn-based strategy games to deliver an immersive gaming experience that offers a ‘big picture’ space strategy, whilst delivering an experience that allows you to get up close and personal with your ships as they undertake great journeys and wage wars on enemy civilizations.
Our ambition to deliver something fresh and new to the space strategy genre has forced us to innovate, delivering vast galaxies and an unrivalled simultaneous multiplayer experience. We are passionate gamers who are also making the game we want to play… These are some of the things we have done so far:
- We created an online vast persistent universe in which thousands of players can play. After all, space is supposed to be big! The universe has a history shaped by the players who play within it.
- Everything happens in real-time, meaning realistic real-time. It may take a few minutes to reach another planet in your home system, but it could also take several hours or even days to reach nearby stars.
- We made sure there is always plenty to do. For example, managing your planets, researching technology, designing and building ships.
- No waiting for turns means that there are no limitations on the number of players in the game.
- Everything continues when you log-off. This is an online universe, your ships and planets continue to operate whether you are online or not.
- The game has been designed so that it is equally playable for those who want to enjoy sustained gaming sessions for hours and for those who prefer to dip in and out whenever they have time.
- We gave both high-level strategic views and realistic zoomed-in views of your ships and planets in one glorious unified system, all in 3D, all updating in real-time. You can look at the overall strategic star map, then you can zoom to look at a real-time view of your beautiful ships. In fact you can fly through and experience space in it’s true enormity just as it would be in real-life.
- Play to your own schedule, issue and queue orders with units, tell them how to react during enemy encounters.
- Play with your friends – Beyond Dark will try to place you near your friends when you join a galaxy, but you can also open wormholes allowing you to play alongside or against friends.
- We kept what makes a space strategy great: Expanding and exploring whilst building and controlling multiple ships, colonizing multiple planets, defending and attacking, researching technologies and diplomacy.
We have unified the MMO (massive multiplayer online game) genre with the RTS (real time strategy), playing at a speed which allowed us to also take the best from the turn-based strategy genre. Most of all, we believe we have created one of the most noteworthy and exciting strategy games of the past decade.
We can’t wait for you to try Beyond Dark and to hear your thoughts. We’ve even decided to offer free Beta invites for a limited time.