The current ‘Alpha 2’ galaxy has been running since December 2017 and is nearing the end of its life – we want to make sure it goes out with a bang!
Tomorrow, Wednesday November 21st at 16:00 UTC, we’re launching new leaderboards to recognise player excellence across different areas of gameplay.
The galaxy will close a few weeks later on Monday January 7th at 11:00 UTC. We’ll then publish the outright winners and overall Top 20 of each leaderboard category on the website.
If you’re wondering what Outscape is? It’s the new name for Beyond Dark. Find out more here.
New leaderboard categories
There will now be 6 leaderboard categories in the game, each recognizing player excellence in a different area of gameplay:
- Grand Emperor (overall empire size and strength)
- Master of Stellar Warfare (fleet combat and planet invasions)
- Galactic Conqueror (colonization and planet invasions)
- Explorer (distances travelled)
- Economist (credits held at one time)
- Industrialist (beron and farsu spent in ship and building construction)
Full details about each of these leaderboards including how points are scored further below in this post.
Awards for Player Profiles
For future galaxies with a fixed end-date, players that finish on the ‘podium’ for any leaderboard category e.g. Top 20, will be recognised with a prestigious award that will be listed on their player profile.
For this galaxy, we spoke to players about the possibility of issuing awards, but player opinion was that no awards should be given because it wasn’t a level playing field due to the time difference between players being added to the galaxy, big changes to balance, new features being added etc.
Put alliances to one side, have some fun, and help us test!
So put your alliances to one side for the rest of this game and let’s turn this galaxy into an action packed free-for-all! Your participation will help us not only test the new leaderboards – but all of the other changes that have been made in the last few weeks.
What happens next?
- Scoring for each of the new leaderboards will start tracking from Wednesday November 21st at 16:00 UTC (except the ‘Grand Emperor’ leaderboard which is the continuation of the original main leaderboard already in the game)
- The following day (Thursday November 22nd) – we’ll post up the link to the leaderboards themselves where you’ll be able to check the standings (and see how good a start you did or didn’t make)
- The ‘Alpha 2’ galaxy will close Monday January 7th at 11:00 UTC and the outright winners and overall Top 20 of each leaderboard category will be published on the website
Each leaderboard will show only a player’s rank, name and score. The old leaderboard showed other stats like how many planets and fleets a player had, but many of you at one time or another told us it was too much free intel – so we removed it 🙂
1. Grand Emperor
- The most prestigious leaderboard (it’s the existing main leaderboard for the galaxy but with less columns shown)
- Score is based on the size and strength of a player’s empire at that moment
2. Master of Stellar Warfare
Measures an empire’s performance in fleet combat and invasions:Fleet combat
- Earn points for each player owned ship you destroy
- Lose points for each of your own ships destroyed by another player
- How points are calculated:
- Each ship has a points value relative to its HP and DPS (it’s weighted so that ‘average’ DPS and ‘average’ HP would contribute 50/50 to the points value)
- The player destroying the ship earns the points value of the ship
- The player losing the ship loses 20% of the points value of the ship
- E.g. a scout worth 100 points is lost. The destroying player earns 100 points, the former owner loses 20 points.
- Battles with pirates aren’t counted
- Earn points for each planet of another player you successfully capture
- Lose points for each of your own planets captured by another player
- How points are calculated:
- Each planet is worth 50 points plus 1 point per 500 colonists
- The capturing player earns these points
- The player losing the planet loses 20% of the points value
- E.g. a planet with 10k colonists worth 70 points is captured. The invading player gets 70 points and the player that lost the planet loses 14 points.
3. Galactic Conqueror
Measures an empire’s expansion – whether achieved peacefully or by force:Colonization
- Earn 50 points for each planet colonized
- Same as above (each planet is worth 50 points plus 1 point per 500 colonists). Invasions contributes to both ‘Master of Stellar Warfare’ and ‘Galactic Conqueror’ challenges.
An empire’s ‘Explorer’ score is determined by a maximum distance fleets were able to travel from the start planet
An empire’s ‘Economist’ score is determined by the maximum credits held at one time
Measures how industrious an empire has been in construction:
- Ships: earn points relative to the Farsu spent on ship construction
- Colony structures: earn points relative to the Beron spent on constructing colony structures
Thanks everyone, we’ll see you again very soon 🙂